Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Vagioplasty Redux

So,

My friend, Yami, having thought some more about vagioplasty decided to do a research project on them. What she found is not for the faint of heart and should not be viewed at work as they are not work-safe. What she found, she said, changed her position in regards to this topic.

At the time being, Yami requests that everyone readjusts their *um* ... Um, I don't know (seriously, I feel my positioning changing... it is very odd. It makes me realize that perhaps... PERHAPS... I was too quick thinking it had anything to do with what men find desireable, but, as Yami says, "

... y'all... I don't know if I can type that...

Ok...

Centering.

Yami thinks looking at this picture helps re-orient the senses.

***

It dawns on me that another way of thinking about this is to consider that we *do* live in a culture where every woman is "beautiful" down there and so... that's something new to labor under. Not to have what is considered "beautiful" genitalia must be a horrible burden.

Now, my position here is as someone who is not only a feminist, but someone who has sat in circles of lesbian and bi women talking about how ugly they find dicks and even guys talking about how ugly they find dicks. You know what? MOST people, if asked, would tell you they think dicks are ugly and vaginas are beautiful. However, as a person who has seen many an ugly dick and who understands that to most people what is beautiful about a dick is its rigidity and size (and generally not in that order), not what it actually *looks* like.

Where are the doctors offering phalloplasty?

I am sure they exist, AND that is not my point. My point is that there is something underpining this idea of "beauty" (The "after" shots made me feel sad. Something safe for the picture frame indeed...)and makes it really... harmful and indicative of deeper, troubling issues. The lesson I am reminded of is how something is called "beautiful" sometimes means there's another hurdle to cross... especially if what you have you don't consider beautiful.

Or a majority does not consider beautiful.

And it's a damn shame.

If you only knew some of the UGLY penises I have seen in my life! *WHEW*

1 Comments:

At 2:16 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pussys are ugly things, yucky, penises on the other hand are a work of art.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home